|Wind Lake is located in the Township of Norway, Wisconsin. The Pottowatomi Indians were the first settlers in this area. Many artifacts such as arrowheads, axes and mounds have been found here. In fact, three Indian mounds still remain on the shores of Waubeesee Lake.
The first recorded resident of the area was Thomas Drought, an Irishman who settled in the eastern section of the township. The Norwegians were the first group to settle in the area in any great number, hence the name Town of Norway. The first two families puchased a dug out indian mound which they used as a home and place of business.
The news of great opportunity in this area spread to Norway and the settlers began to arrive in great numbers in 1839. Among the more memorable was Evan Heg (Colonel Heg Park is located on the south end of Wind Lake). After arriving in Milwaukee after a 17 week sailing trip, they hired a guide to take them to the Muskego settlement in Wind Lake where they purchased land for $1.25 an acre. With the purchase of this land came the building of a hospital, church, hotel and a social center. The first school was constructed in the 1840's and was on the shores of Waubasee Lake. Most of the settlers had cabins with dirt floors and oxen for transportation and made a habit of walking to Milwaukee to visit and do business.
Wind Lake is an area that has much pride in its participation in the Civil War. An entire regiment was led by Hans Heg who fought for the Union. The rich history and pride of its settlers can be experienced at the Heg Museum located at Heg Park. Every June at the Heritage Celebration, residents can enjoy and learn from a Civil War Battle re-enactment and view an encampment.
With the lakes of the area, Wind Lake became a summer resort area for many of the city folks once the Electric Railway and Power Company made its way to the area. In more modern times, a sewage disposal plant has been added to keep the lakes healthy and clean for recreational uses.
Mel Wendt Realty has been proud to meet the real estate and appraisal needs of Western Racine and Southern Waukesha counties since February of 1964. At that time the name Holtz and Wendt Realty was who people turned to for real estate services. The Loomis Road office remained the headquarters for Mel Wendt and father-in-law Elmer Holtz until 1978 when Elmer retired. Since 1985 Mel's son Jim has added his appraisal and brokering skills to the business. In September of 1988 Mel Wendt Realty moved to its current location, on the corner of State Highway 36 and South Loomis Road.
Mel Wendt Realty
Wind Lake Area